Current job vacancies with AQMesh
Technical Business Development Officer
Based in Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Salary £25-£40k plus benefits and profit share bonus
The Technical Business Development Officer role is a hybrid of technical sales, account management and business development. You will support the Managing Director and be a first point of contact for users with a range of questions. Key to the success of this role will be the ability to work in collaboration with our distributors, users, partners and internal functions.
Full training will be given but an interest in the environment, technology and data services is important. We will invest in training you to be confident discussing all aspects of the product to all the parties we engage with, selling the product but also listening to feedback and communicating internally.
We design, manufacture, sell and support our global market-leading air quality monitoring system, AQMesh, from our base in Stratford-upon-Avon, UK. We help governments, researchers, industrial companies and NGOs understand local air quality in real time, using a new generation of sensors, data management and communication techniques.
Why work with Environmental Instruments Ltd?
AQMesh is the global leader in small sensor air quality monitoring. Our disruptive innovation technology launched 10 years ago into what has become an increasingly dynamic market. We are a small team, privately owned and able to steer our own course. The nature of the global air quality world means we collaborate and liaise with users and partners all over the world, on a daily basis.
Our structure is cloud-based and our culture open and ‘can do’. If the thought of expanding the understanding of local air quality and the impact of measures to reduce air pollution excites you, join us as a Technical Business Development Officer.
- Proactive account management of key customers
- Answering commercial and technical questions from distributors, users and other partners
- Problem-solving: using internal data sources and incomplete user feedback to identify and fix remote operation issues
- Representing the company at exhibitions, conferences and other industry events
- Contributing user feedback to internal development discussions
- Helping to manage users’ access to their air quality data
- Looking for opportunities to demonstrate and prove product performance
- Carrying out basic analyses of performance and being able to understand and communicate third party analyses
- Record-keeping of information from projects, maintenance and updating of content for online resources
- Gathering case study and other promotional material to be developed with the marketing function
- Visiting distributors and users to answer their questions, identify blockages in the sales process and build confidence in the product
- It may sometimes be necessary to travel in this role although we try to minimise air miles by innovative use of video conferencing and other such tools
The sort of person we are looking for
- Numerate - comfortable handling numbers, from quotations to technical specifications and basic correlation analysis
- Comfortable with a technical product
- Interested in “big data” services and IoT
- Confident with customers and partners of all sorts
- Experienced in business – able to negotiate, compromise or stand firm as appropriate
- An interest in environmental issues
- An appetite for global trading and winning orders
- Judgement - ability to make decisions or refer to colleagues as required
- Energy for a dynamic market and fast pace of change
- Communication skills - written, verbal and visual; internal and external
- Eye for business development opportunities
- Curiosity regarding product applications, market and technology
- Patience and conscientiousness
- Responding to customer enquiries and questions promptly and fully
- Ability to organise workload and focus on priorities without direct supervision
- Ability to build and maintain trust between diverse groups
- Willing and able to learn quickly, often without the focus of formalised training
- Happy to sometimes travel within Europe and worldwide
- Proactive, and happy to own tasks and processes
- Reliable – your colleagues and contacts can depend on you
- Potential for management
In a typical month
Your office will be at our friendly base in Stratford-upon-Avon. Email provides the basis of much communication and each morning you will typically receive a range of emails from all over the world: enquiries, requests for quotation, technical questions, invitations to collaborate. Many of the contacts will always be new but some become long-term friends.
You will need to use our various systems - including accessing data and information about operation, commercial, technical support - as well as talking to other members of the team. Most days you will have calls or online meetings with contacts around the world: projects move quickly and the air quality world is well-connected globally. Several times a year you can expect to travel to visit distributors and customers. Our company is small and you will need to make your own arrangements, backed up by solid H&S policies and employee care policies.
This role is not described as a sales role because we think our customers prefer a thoughtful approach, answering their questions, but we are active in our marketing and expect you to maximise each sales opportunity, getting a buzz out of every order you land.
We think you need a work-life balance, so we can offer flexible working and our standard working week is 4.5 days. In return we expect energy and commitment. This is a full-time office-based job, so if you do not already live close to Stratford-upon-Avon you would need to be prepared to move to be within a practical distance for commuting.
Employment benefits include generous pension, insurance and holiday arrangements.
How to apply
Please use the form below, attaching a CV and covering letter outlining your interest in the position and explaining how you would be ideal in this role.
We will not accept referrals from agencies or employment businesses.